Sunday, December 8, 2013

Peace. Not on earth, but in a mommy's SUV!

It is Sunday night. I am sitting here taking a quick break from painting my boys bunk bed. (Also known as an IKEA hack, hopefully post to come soon!) My boys decided that they wanted to sleep over at my parents place, so I took advantage of this free time to try and finish their bed so that I can get their mattresses up off the floor and give them some play space back! Why again do I do this to myself? I have to work in the morning. But, this bed MUST get finished! Okay, so if it doesn't get finished I promise I will let this one slide and finish it later... I am still learning the letting go part.

This morning, I doubted getting out of bed to go to church.
- First, we have had -35 weather. Need I say more?
- Second, I have been working 5 days a week doing Christmas concerts at my daycares so I really wanted to just hermit myself all weekend.
- Third, I got a phone call early this morning from my pastor letting me know that a main water pipe had broken and church had to be re-directed to a very small space which would have been uber uncomfortable for our size of congregation. But, we did it. Well, we decided to go to my parents church instead, which had a later service so it worked out alright anyways. Plus, I am very sure that what God wanted me to hear, was there.
He talked about peace. Now this is something I have heard my whole life. In fact, if you google God's Peace, you will find many verses. But today, he talked about Philippians 4:6-7 Amplified Version;
" Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. "

If you ask anyone close to me, they will all agree that I worry too much. Possibly anxiety, depends who you ask. I worry mostly about money, because, well without money you simply cannot survive! I worry that the bills will be paid, that we can afford to buy groceries after all is said and done, that the (now mortgage) is paid and that everything is covered. But today, God told me to stop! I am doing all I can. I am working as much as I can, no matter what I do, it is not in my control. I am doing exactly what He has asked me to do. I cannot make more money come in, and God has always provided with what we have. So why do I worry? In fact, God has blessed me with SO much more than I deserve. He provided the biggest blessing of all time, the chance to purchase our first home! Every time I think about that I am just in awe. Still, two weeks later. Our God is SO good! So why do I worry?! Ok, so point of the post is this; I am done worrying. God is in control. And if I can just remember to let it go, including my anxiety about bills, I will truly be able to rest in His peace. I am deciding to not let the little things set me off! Dear Lord, please help me! I have two 4 year olds, I need all the help I can get.

Anyways, the whole point of this post was to tell you how awesome God is. Really, I don't have to tell you how awesome He is. He just is!
As we were driving home, my little Ez started to have a meltdown. You know the kind where they are extremely tired, but wont give in? Where every little thing is setting him off? He even told his brother to stop looking at him as he sobbed and screamed. So after about 10 minutes of this, I reached over to my husbands hand, grabbed it and prayed the most simple prayer I think I may have ever spoken, "Dear Lord, I love my son, thank you for such a wonderful, beautiful and amazing little boy... I am asking you to fill him with your peace, in the name of Jesus, amen."
Usually I get frustrated. Sometimes I yell. Sometimes I start crying. But today I spoke peace into my son, and the very minute I ended my prayer, he stopped whining. Literally! from full fledged tears and screams to silence. I looked over at my husband and started laughing, did that really just happen? We were both laughing, kind of in shock. You know, we ask God for things, we speak things and we don't really expect them to happen. I really do believe that our words hold more power than we think.

God is good. He does listen, even if it is just a little thing setting a mom off. Learning to rest in God's peace. It is something new for me, but I am excited to let Him take over my worries and enjoy life, because these are the cuties I am privileged to have in my life and be mommy to. And to be honest, I just don't have time to worry or be upset over the little things! :)

Helping us out at Home Depot. The DIY'ing adventures begins!

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by to say hi! I'm not even sure where you find time to blog with twins! Kudos to you! The boys are adorable! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete